Thursday, February 4, 2010

Goooooood . . . Morning California!

I promise I will get the hang of this literary journal . . I guess I'm missing the "daily" part of the concept. I promise.

Moving along it is a brisk morning at 5:37am in San Diego California. I had quite the day yesterday beginning with a spirited cup of Costa Rican Joe & my first appointment with the reigning heiress to the Cohn Restaurant Group. -Amazing, down to Earth people that's all I have to say and what an honor to be asked to caterer an event for such a prestigious, epicurean family renowned for the best restaurants in San Diego.

On my way back to the office, I slipped in to Catalina Offshore to visit my good friend and collegue Tom Gomes to pick up some stellar Tuna & Local Halibut for today's tasting. This joint has the freshest fish out there - if you haven't been I suggest you visit www.catalinop.com.

At this time we are now back at the office (as my 2:00pm appt had to postpone - this was to be the end all/tell all about this slightly massive kitchen project I've been working on for a solid four months) and pumping out paperwork with my sidekick. Surprisingly enough I managed to scarf down a late salad . . this you see is a pledge to start eating better, healthier and lighter food as Chef Scotty does have a rather small but unpleasantly cute roll forming around his lower abdomen. Now only if I would drink more water and formly take up excersing again (note to self: go to 24 hour fitness and renew membership/ie: that damn 866 number is going to keep calling everyday til you do!)

At 5:15, Ms. Inta and I departed for our first every Luxury Council Meeting at the Keating Hotel. Let us begin with the Hotel - off the hook, art deco designed by the creator/innovator of ferrari (this is totally Inta's style!). We pinned our outfits with those forever lame but ever useful name tags and proceed to "network" I was actualy in quite the right mood for this setting and rekindled some relationships with Dana from Cal-a-Vie Spa, Barry & Jennifer from Coast Catering, our hostess of the evening Ms. Cynthia Karel (the dame of San Diego proper) and many more ... After consuming five the evenings signature libations (entitled "the Mule" Vodka, Ginger Beer, Fresh Lime & a Shake of Bitters), I was primed for success but at that time we were called upstairs for the presentation . . oh boy did I have to pee!

The presentation was on viral marketing and some new things hitting the market. Exciting stuff - think maybe. But we did learn a few things and more importantly the concept behind this council is quite brilliant (started by some New Yorker in 1918 if my memory serves correct - but after 5 mules I make no promises:))

I finished up the night by meeting a few colleagues out at a local dive and wetted my palette once more with a mug of Sammy Adams (although I did through down one bottled water - kudos to me!)

And now we are here - the clock just turned the digits to 6am. Our Social menu's are posted on the website and promise to be exceptional this year. I'll let y'all know how the tasting goes tomorrow morning in the AM till then . . eat with a smile!

with Culinary Blessings,

Chef Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment