Tuesday, February 14, 2012

You're not Alone, V-day debriefing, Baconized Maple-Macallan Cupcakes


 “The heart is forever inexperienced.”
Henry David Thoreau

February 14th, 2012
"You're not Alone" by Olive from the stage (or MJ's version if you prefer his take on the words)
 
So, if you’re just now tuning into this almost daily journal of mine . . I will recap me somewhat unusual format.  The intro quote is from Thoreau for this very first season of transformation & transcendental life (it happens to have substance parallel to my disposition at this time).  It is my endeavor to explore a new philosopher with each proceeding season of this blog; in that way we both get to know him/her intimately.  Next, I have a song that I’ve linked for numerous purposes that are applicable to the content of that day’s writings as are the images comingling amongst my words.  In my opinion, art (in all of it's many forms) is mankind’s best attribute or at least, his best contribution to a society locked in a state of turbulence. (again, I attempt to share hidden gems of rare music, photography, paintings & yes . . Chef Scotty recipes).  I find similar passionate notes amongst my profession as a chef, therefore a recipe at the final conclusion of the blog is almost always present.  I bare all, rather naked, unlimited sassy Scotty may procure hostility or provoke some offensive truth and render fear based bias . . . but it is my hope that my writings ultimately inspire thought, instill compassion for self & others, tease your assumptions . . . only your mind shall envelope and seal away that which trips your trigger.  Now on to it . . .

It’s Valentine’s day and working backwards through my lovers deck of participants; the  Jacks, the regal Kings & yes, even a degree of Queens . . . I gather what lessons I’ve learned in wishful pursuit of finding “the one.”  I share the equivalent desire of all others (monks, nuns & politicians excluded) in sharing a future with a majestic being to walk with through the portal of love.  Being single is nothing new to me. My businesses and consequently self adhered to obligations to provide for my “children” (my employees) always came before that of my own needs and wants.  Now, I confess that hasn’t worked out so well for me and I no longer hold the torch of responsibility to those folks.  Priority “me” has been bumped up in the latter of love, the final steps having the requirement of balance as I reach beyond the 8-ft aluminum craft of ascension . . . eyes set on the desired destination.  NOTE: like many of us, I have a slight affliction to heights as such peril hangs in the cusp of cupid and the foot of concentration.

Todd, Kelly, Matty, Joshah, Eric, Laurence, Josh, Dani, Danny, Rudi, Matt, Kevin, Steven all lovers of my past . . I was not ready to full embrace your gifts and for that I am sorry for any pain I have caused you.  I suffer only in my solitary state, which is to say, that I lack the presence of companionship but truly suffer not as I’ve always been a bit of a loner amongst the many.  I’ll turn the ripe age of 36 on April 22nd and I’ve not yet cleared a year with any man (in case you haven’t figured it out, I’m one of those gay people).  That isn’t a huge vote of confidence and I look not to blame anyone in particular for any outside influence.   It’s my very own personal history and I shall hold myself accountable for all of my actions; stupid as many of those decisions were, foolishly young to the concept of earnest affection and lasting love.  I vacillate to whether my approach of uncompromisable sincerity is the correct avenue to discovering he who would take my hand tenderly.  A bit of damaged goods, but still passionately involved with the intercourse of life; I am attracted to so few, which makes the endless search evermore allusive.  You see, I am not willing to settle and the requirements of equality and honesty stand above all else.  I have my true and through friends, a closeness with my family and my very own shining light of love for self to keep me content for the mean time.

I wrote a poem a few days back on February 12th (you can find past blog entries to the right of this column, click on it, and wallah!) that pretty much summarizes my last experience of letting down the boundaries & taking a dip into the sauté pan . . seared & delicious would be appropriate adjectives.  I guess I still feel the burn marks . . I should have been paying better attention, less oil, less heat as that seems to be how “the game” is played.  Then again, I say to hell with “the game” . . I’m hardly a conformist and ironically that just so happens to be the most attractive quality that I possess (to the suitors that would pursue my interest that is).  It is the conception and the conclusion of all that I am!  My frustrations all enraptured within my ego as I continually resist the lessons for some unworldly stubbornness; I will not change that which is right; I forfeit to the born tendencies of a child’s purity . . the recognition taking precedence over the intention.   

My love of food in all of its vast forms is comforting to me especially on this infamous holiday.  In honor of my emotions, I’ve successfully gnawed away at near half a cherry bundt cake, the fat globules forming as fast as I am able to feed the ravenous craving.  If not love of another, I’ll happily take the runner-up (munching more cake).  My love to transform food through artistic interpretation has dimmed, this I openly admit.  The stripping of my dream realized, my company built from the ground up, the absence of integrity from many of those that I offered all but my left riblet . . . there is still so much love in my life and as this bittersweet day calls for a bittersweet recipe I wish nothing more than happiness and gratified companionship to all of the Adam & Eve’s, or Adam & Adam’s or Eve & Adeve’s . . it’s a very interesting world we live in to say the least!  If you too are single I encourage you to hit the internet up for Single Gun Theory before we get to baking (but leave the gun alone & formulate some theory on why it is that you're single). I implore you to enjoy the calories and consent to solace amongst copious amounts of chocolate, bacon & scotch . . . three items that could sustain me through the final chapters of my life (everyone knows I despise cupcakes . . that’s my contribution to the bitter).

With relentless love & fluctuating light,
                     Chef  Scotty

Baconized Maple-Macallan Cupcakes
Makes 12 deliciously decadent cupcakes that will wipe away any tears or fears of loneliness
Directions:
1) Cook some bacon in a fry pan (about 1 pkg of thick strips). Reserve the drippings and place in the fridge to solidify. Mince 1 cup of the bacon reserving ½ cup for garnish. The chef should eat whatever is left to assure that the bacon is tasty.
2) Beat the crud out of the butter and solidified bacon fat 'till light and creamy. Add the brown sugar, maple syrup & Macallan Scotch and beat well until combined, I suggest having a nip or two as you proceed through your memories of lost lovers.
3) Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
4) Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder together.
5) Add some of the flour and mix, then some of the milk, then continue to alternate the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in the bacon. Taste and add more maple syrup, flour, or milk if needed for desired taste. Keep in mind the maple frosting is very sweet, and to add in very small increments for alterations as maple syrup in large amounts can break a cake batter.
6) Scoop into cupcake papers and bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes for even baking.

For the Maple Syrup Frosting.
What You'll Need --
4 tablespoons of butter.
2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
1 nip of Macallan scotch
1 cup of powdered sugar.
½ cup of bacon bits (reserved from above)
turbinado sugar (optional, but recommended).
coarse grain sea salt (optional, but recommended).
What You'll Do --
  1. Combine the syrup, scotch and butter until combined. Add the sugar, a bit at a time, and whip at high speeds until combined. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes. Sprinkle on sea salt, turbinado sugar & bacon bits for added decoration..

No comments:

Post a Comment