Wednesday, June 27, 2012

5-Spiced Shark Skewers & a bit of Dip leftover

Twizzled by the infectious grounds of Sumatra Coffee still lodged between my front incisors (note to self: must brush before making an appearance in public), I begin this fine afternoon with some refined reflection.  It's been a year now since I've made my debut (or shall we say - Entered the Dragon) in Los Angeles.  I wouldn't have volunatarily moved here or left my near perfect life in San Diego had it not been for the rather unfortunate circumstances surrounding my businesses there. 

A bad buddhist I most certainly am!  The compassion has dried up worse than the Adriatic Sea - caviarless only for the lack of actual Sturgeon swimming around in my immediate reality.  The good news is, I kick ass without all of my lovingly sweet Midwestern morales . . . limitations are torn away like the leftover scraps of pages no longer holding on to the notebook.  No purpose - get rid of it.  No more looking back - too much promise of serenity on the very near horizon.

I'm grateful for this French Onion Dip of a life just wish I had more crispy kettle chips to finish off the petite tub.  Beggars can't be choosers and wilst owning my accountabilty and lack of frugality . . .I also acknowledge my many gifts including some wonderful new friendships (merci beaucoup Neal) that stimiulate my culinary passion as much as drive me to be a better individual.

Le cuisine of the hour . . hmm. I just finished up a little Caribbean inspired menu and this recipe goes back ten years for me. It's not sustainable so you should take note to substitute opah, ono or any other fatty Pacific fish.  El Tiburon is not doing so well in our waters - we need less people, not more fish.  With the 4th of July right around the corner and grilling on the mind, grilling on the spirit, grilling of my self-control . . . . its all too appropriate. 

with Culinary Blessings,

                   Chef Scotty  (ps: sort for the scattered thoughts)


 
Marinade for Chinese 5-Spice Shark & Plum Skewer
Spice up your life with this recipe from Chef Scotty


Prep: 5 minutes
           
           3 lbs of shark, cubed no less  
                                 0than 1" by 1"
           2 cups of dried prunes
1
cup plum wine
2
Tbsp. ginger, fresh, minced
1/4
cup ketjap manis
1/2
cup sesame oil
1-1/2
tsp. cilantro, fresh, chopped
1-1/2
tsp. Chinese five spice blend
1-1/2
tsp. sea salt
1
Tbsp. fresh black pepper (or szechaun peppercorn if you got it/find it!)


Mix all ingredients well. Coat each piece of shark completely - do not just pour marinade over the fish. Turn shark  every 15 minutes while marinating.
Marinate for 30 minutes.  Soak bamboo skewers in water (substitute wooden chopsticks or sugarcane spears) and assemble skewers by alternating pieces of shark with prunes (or plums or substitute any fresh stonefruit)
Grill on each side for two to three minutes and serve.
     *Feel free to add Fennel Bulb & Red Onion to this Kabob!

No comments:

Post a Comment