Friday, June 29, 2012

Taurus to Taurasi - What happens at Remi stays at Remi!

It's OVER:)!:)!  Of course many of you are wondering what in the hell I'm talking about.  I've been cheffing up in Bel Aire for a rather exclusive showcase of Remi Martin's best booze:  Charles Heidsieck Champagne and Louis XIII cognac ($2200 per bottle).  It's been a snippet of journey through purgatory; neither quite hear nor hither.  I've always said God doesn't want me and the Devil is scared of me . . . thus, I was mostly contented at this event but I can't say the same for my staff.

Regardless, 26 days was enough Groundhog Day of edamame-pinot grigio tapenade in a parmesean tuille, passionfruit lace rock shrimp ceviche and  . . . I can even pucker my mouth to formulate the word . . . deviled quail eggs.  It's OVER and my lotus bereft tears will only be shed for the lack of company from Dan, Luchana, Barbara, DJ, Fabrizio and all the other little & belittled people who helped pull this thing off; have I mentioned lately - It's OVER!

Now on to much older yet recently relished libations - Taurasi!  Taurasi is actually a town and comune in the province of Avellino, Campania, Italy producing one single bottle of great vino (the pride of Compania) named after the city to which it the trio of Aglianico, Piedirosso and Barbera grapes are so lovingly grown.  I first learned of this wine some 14 years ago (being a Taurus and all . . .it was a potential name for a restaurant I was working on) and finally, after fruitless endeavors at countless Italian restaurants throughout SoCal . . . did I find it at Il Cielo in Beverly Hills.  It wasn't cheap ($130 I think) but then again I wasn't paying the bill.  The verdict?  LOL well after all that build it up it was very likely to fall short of any premonitions (hmm, Spago swap and spit?) . . . it was tasty, deep and delicious for what it was/is & likely will always be.  Il Cielo's entrees where nothing short of very good Italian, calamari not so much, bruschetta not so much . . . so hard to please, maybe I should open another restaurant or take up the reigns at Eden again.

That's a wrap for today - I'll post my spice of life pork belly with caramelized plantain hash & cuban roasted red bell pepper sofrito tomorrow . . . for now - it's in the oven, crispy cerdito simmering away next to a blanket of sweet plantain . . tonight I bathe in pig fat, tomorrow this Taurauen take a leap towards epicurean enlightment  . . .  bounding to new professional heights . . now where and the flip did I put my red boots?

with Culinary Blessings,

                         Chef Scotty 

No comments:

Post a Comment