Friday, January 1, 2010

Bubbles, Hangovers & Resolutions

Good Afternoon & Welcome to 2010 - Year of the Tiger . . . at least for most. Ironically, I don't think this is going to be the highlight of Tiger Woods career.

Last night was interesting to say the least - the fingerling potato hash needed some lovin but with a little cuban sofrito some pickled pipin apples & the culinary salvation tool of all - BUTTER . . it turned out damn good! The veal cutlets were perfectly cooked and that sauce in its own was one of the best picattas every! Kudos to my team & farewells to my old chef who's last day was yesterday. You see - it really isn't easy to work for me in the kitchen. I have been called the "Rambo of Catering" and compared to Chef Ramses from "Hells Kitchen"

Catering in it's own is nothing more than cooking with extreme variables: different kitchen, different menu (at least with us as we customize most menus to our client), different staff, different weather, different equipment, different dining setup, different rental companies . . . and each one of those differences has the potential to explode in your face with chaos like a bottle of club soda that has been shaked to the core. Problem solving is a must and it most very often must be accomplished with very little. Case in point - I needed a vegan dessert on the fly . . I had tangerines with mum florets crammed into it as a tray garnish so . . I quickly hollowed it out, got some champagne from the bar & mixed in a little remaining raspberry fruit compote and suddenly had a chilled berry-champagne soup. Seriously- vegan requests at a New Years Eve party? Challenging to say the least.

Any the Blue Moon . . one of my servers told me it only happens every 19 years and that it was the first time it had happened on New Years? I don't know if there is any truth to this - but I very much hope it so!

To conclude: One of my New Years Resolutions is to write on/in/for this blog every day. I am still contemplating to what nature this journal is to take particularly with regards to how much personal life shall be interwoven within the fabric of this words but for now . . I'm content with establishing a routine and sharing tidbits as the pop into my head.

With that said, I raise my glass full of good intentions for all and say cheers! Cheers to 2010 and the world of possibilities that it holds.

with Culianry Blessings,

Chef Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment