Monday, July 23, 2012

Genghis Khan Eyebrows & "Just Beat It" Beet Soup

July something, 2012

This past week was full of revelations, inspirations & reunitations (cause it sounds good!)

Last Monday - the heads of state at 24 Carrots & I mutually decided it was in my biggest britches to shuttle off on my own path of Chef Scotty.  It was a brief but savory run and the first of it's kind in over 12 years; that is to say - I like being my own boss.  Not that I manage my own self that well, everything goes into my work, my clients, my colleagues . . . my eyes say sleep, my heart says win it all back, my Buddhist amigos . . .well, hopefully they're chanting for me. 

"No Dad, I didn't exactly volunteer to step off on my own right then and there . . . it was a discussion of what was/would be in everyone's best interests."  Simple put - I am a novelty of excessive uniqueness that does not necessarily jive with the likes of corporate structure.  I am untainted, unrestrained and perhaps the most comical chef you'll meet . . . I guess it all works out "how it should"

Ironic that my two previous blog posts encapsulated a feeling of Freedom & Go with the Flow Scenerios & Relationships.  I'm standing, still smoking and not one little bit worried about tomorrow.  Blessed by the surroundings of too many gifted and amazing individuals, I will finish this Dr. Seus spirited 2011 race and build a few new tracks to boot.  Should the Mayans fail in delivering the premeditated destruction of the world this December. . I do believe 2013 will be my year of redemption; Bob Marley swirls in my head every time a say that word as does the memory of being blitzed on Costa Rica's Playa Samara and not waking up until the water was laping right up my shorts towards Mr. you know who.  I wouldn't recommend drinking Guaro unless you were broke as I was at the age of seventeen.

With the impossibility of typing out this weeks chain of unparalleled upsies & sidewazies; I am pleasantly forced to keep this brief & to the point.  I love life and relieved that I can write whatever the hell I want again.  For our food segment:  let's see . . . pink and slippery, summertime chilling with a snitch of spice.  I give you a bloody red-n-chilly soup.
 
with Culinary Blessings,
                         Chef Scotty (www.chicuisine.com)


"Just Beat It" Soup Recipe

INGREDIENTS

2 medium onion
1 half jalapeno (seeds removed)
1 fresh bay leaf
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
1 small potato
1 pound raw beets (skinned removed)
2 tablespoons EVO
6 cups vegetable stock or water with a splash or two of white wine
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 fennel bulbs, cored removed - brunoise or as close as you get (ie: small pieces)
1 teaspoon
Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream or yogurt to garnish (optional)
Better yet:  Add some caraway-rye croutons, fennel fronds & grilled shrimp

1. Chop vegetables.
2. Heat pan, add oil, and saute onion until transparent. Add jalapeno, bay leaf, tarragon, potato, beets, and veggie stock or water and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Allow to cool before blending in small batches in blender then strain
5. Add vinegar, fennel brunoise, salt and pepper.
6. Before serving, top with a dollop of sourcream, caraway rye croutons, fennel fronds and grilled prawns.
May be served warm or chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment