Sunday, July 1, 2012

Soar/Sore/Sure/Shore/Sofrito 4 Shizzles


Soar = ascending to new heighths, I did quite well in yesterdays competition on to the interview 7/5

Sore = made it to two Spin classess & two workouts this week . . my body is beaten in a good way

Sure = sure that I'm on the right path and beyond grateful for the many that have held me up till now

Shore = a trip to San Diego for 4 days work, I'm thinking some Ocean mediation along the route

Sofrito =   an mixutre of surreal sexiness & friend to beans, rice or in my case pork belly for shizzles!


Ominivorous intentions have me climbing out of the elephants ass and quite lovingly embracing a most luxurious ephinany - I am without limitation.  "On point"might be a better manner of phrasing but I rather enjoy twisting my vocabulary . . that way it is consistent with the perilous thoughts that revolve in my head (much like a 16 year old Maytag Dryer loaded to the hilt, spinning away, the thumps and clicks of forgotten change, a lighter, two buckles & shit . . . . I left a ballpoint pen in one of those chef uniforms!).

Heading to my old turf in a few hours and wickedly wondering just how I'll cope.  You see, San Diego always manages to stir up so much  . . so much, hmm introspection and interrogation for me.  I decided yesterday that I will be taking this mid-summer month off of my "situation down under" as such there will be no further mention of it - the ultimateum can just sit on the back burner unti August; as can my lawyer bills.

I'm putting it out there.  Putting it all out there.  I'm ready for a real realtionship, ready to make it all back yet again, ready to be the best chef I can imaginably be, ready to make a difference and climb, crawl, cling, cut, carve, contour any obstacle that presents itself before me.  I'm all heart, all ears and all open to the wonderful opportunities - Bring it on!

For the food swingers out there - Sofrito is the equivalent of our ketchup to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Cuba (as well as a few other Caribbean islands).  When I state equivalent in no way to I condone the use, taste, purpose of ketchup - I think the rotten tomato puree does nothing for food, well not good food at least.  My dish yesterday manifested from it's original conception of exclectic caribbean fusion into a more subdued yet balanced Puerto Rican nouveau plate.  The caramelized plantain hash was replaced with a Roasted Garlic n' Sweet Corn Bread Pudding.  The papaya pickle tamed down in both acidity & complexity.  The sofrito enrichened with five types of roasted peppers, vinegar, cumin & fresh basil which complemented my perfectly cooked pork belly (that I opted not to spice with Garam Masala but crushed fennel & black caraway seed instead) in the way that a cala lily excites the overly sensitive gay man.  My plate of food was hot, not warm . . but hot and that was the intent of design that lead to these little alterations.  I received a big smile and a  . . . well, I can't tell y' everything!  Let's just say that it wasn't my best dish by far, but it was better than almost most.

with Culinary Blessings,

                       Chef Scotty


Recipe: Puerto Rican Sofrito
makes about 5 cups
*feel free to use some roasted poblanos and hit the mixture with some organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar for a bit more punch!

Ingredients

  • 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 1 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 10 ajies dulces peppers, tops removed
  • 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 onions, cut into large chunks
  • 3 medium heads garlic, peeled
  • 25 cilantro leaves with stems
  • 25 leaves recao, or culantro
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper

Directions

  1. In a food processor, combine green peppers, red peppers ajies dulces, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Add cilantro, recao, salt, and pepper. Process to the consistency of semi-chunky salsa (not watery). Place in a ziplock freezer bag, and use as needed, or freeze in portions.

Footnotes

  • Recao is a popular Caribbean herb with many aliases. Among them, Culantro, long coriander, ngo-gai, and Mexican coriander. It may possibly be found in Latin grocery stores, or substitute with cilantro.
  • Aji Dulce is a common ingredient in Puerto Rican recipes. It is a small, sweet red pepper. If you can't find it, use red bell pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment