Thursday, January 5, 2012

Eleven lords a leaping, Numb, Fish-n-Chips Recipe


I have heard of a man lost in the woods and dying of famine and exhaustion at the foot of a tree, whose loneliness was relieved by the grotesque visions with which, owing to bodily weakness, his diseased imagination surrounded him, and which he believed to be real. So also, owing to bodily and mental health and strength, we may be continually cheered by a like but more normal and natural society, and come to know that we are never alone.”
Henry David Thoreau

December 5th, 2012

Those crusty eyelids slid open like rusted over garage doors, shifting the Earth beneath my burdened body I made my way for the water lapping at the edge of my desires to cast free from this stalagmite ridden enclave.  What a fool to have forgotten I am a water dragon!  The buoyancy of the Mother’s tears will carry the most pressing weight until I have at last gained momentum; the sunset awaits my baptism . . . free at last, I’ll take flight at the crest of an amber horizon.

This morning, I have risen from the depths of my own imprisonment, the  chamber of secrets no longer gripping my mind with doubt and trepidation.  Maybe it was the 16oz bloodied ribeye that I ravenously devoured last night, maybe it was the correct prescription of unlimited sleep . . who knows – all I know is that I am wide awake and grateful to have shredded my pity like the remaining scraps of grizzle on my dinner plate last night.

Where to begin?  How long have I been gone?  A list, best to start with a definitive list so as not to become overwhelmed by the surmountable tasks needing my most adamant attention.   And coffee, more coffee . . . a jumpstart is best accompanied by some Tanzanian dark roast and tightly fitting sneakers; amazing how the shoes you strap on can either undermine your evening intentions or escalate your matching pin-striped demeanor.  The time is 10:19am, if I strategize and work diligently I can finish this Thursday with some sort of redeeming sensation of accomplishment.

Are any of my recent nocturnal escapades worthy of sharing in detail?  If they were, they would likely be at the forefront of my thoughts and pour out onto this journal – Numb.  That is what I leave you to consider, the very state of my existence these past few days.

 Definition of NUMB

1: devoid of sensation especially as a result of cold or anesthesia
2: devoid of emotion : indifferent

Mr. Wilson’s annual “12th day Party” or spinoff of his birthday celebration (which actually takes place on the 2nd of January every year) will be taking place this Saturday and it requires the creation of some culinary nibbles . . . good thing somebody woke out of his coma (even the great prophet Moses couldn’t fix Mr. Wilson’s feeble attempts at prodding food into some entitlement as an edible meal)  A brief grocery list will be devised but until then I’m thinking fish-n-chips as I have a case of potatoes & a boatload of halibut scraps in the freezer.   

Fish-n-Chips Recipe

Ingredients

For the fries:

  • 1 gallon safflower oil
  • 4 large Russet potatoes
  • Kosher salt

For the batter:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Dash Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1 bottle brown beer, cold I like to use a smoked porter
  • 1 1/2 pounds firm-fleshed whitefish (tilapia, pollock, cod), cut into 1-ounce strips
  • Cornstarch, for dredging

Directions

Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
Heat the safflower oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over high heat until it reaches 320 degrees.
Using a V-slicer with a wide blade, slice the potatoes with the skin on. Place in a large bowl with cold water.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. Whisk in the beer until the batter is completely smooth and free of any lumps. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Note: The batter can be made up to 1 hour ahead of time.
Drain potatoes thoroughly, removing any excess water. When oil reaches 320 degrees, submerge the potatoes in the oil. Working in small batches, fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they are pale and floppy. Remove from oil, drain, and cool to room temperature.
Increase the temperature of the oil to 375 degrees. Re-immerse fries and cook until crisp and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on roasting rack. Season with kosher salt while hot and hold in the oven.
Allow oil to return to 350 degrees. Lightly dredge fish strips in cornstarch. Working in small batches, dip the fish into batter and immerse into hot oil. When the batter is set, turn the pieces of fish over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain the fish on the roasting rack. Serve with malt vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment