Saturday, January 21, 2012

Showered Upon, The Best Man I Know, Steak & Mashers,

"I love Nature partly because she is not man, but a retreat from him. None of his institutions control or pervade her. There a different kind of right prevails. In her midst I can be glad with an entire gladness. If this world were all man, I could not stretch myself, I should lose all hope. He is constraint, she is freedom to me. He makes me wish for another world. She makes me content with this.
Henry David Thoreau
 
January 21st, 2012
It’s raining and has been since early last night, this is a good thing and commonly referred to as “douching the streets of L.A.”  I find it a bit odd that a rainy day in California is about as common as seeing an opossum hopping along the 405 freeway on a pogostick.  My Midwestern upbringing was quite the opposite with showers, thunderstorms, lightening . . . I think we referred to it as “God’s bowling again”  Of course, at this time of the year the precipitation comes down in sheets of bleached out snow and bombarding hail . . nothing that I miss that’s for sure.

Tomorrow is my father’s birthday, we were both born on the 22nd (April for me) and I feel it appropriate to channel this entry in gratuitous expression of what this man has given me.  He is beyond Harrison Ford handsome, an outdoorsman through and through, extraordinarily hard-working, devoted father, loyal husband (although that department he has been less than appreciated),  unselfish, contributing community member, gracious, humbled volunteer, brilliant, logical, practical, a carpenter or better put “jack of all trades”, accomplished professional and respected boss.  My dad is the best man that I know of, which makes it hardly fair to compare him with other fathers that I have known, as they fall well short of my papa’s worst day.  It is my unrequited love for my father that has pushed me to excel as I live so much to earn his respect and praise.  I strive to be a but a fraction of the individual that he has always been, I desire to be that unprecedented pillar of support for all who embrace me as friend, family, employee and colleague.

Two stand-out similarities that we share in common is this unwavering perfectionist nature descending from some word that exceeds the context of “dedicated” and the struggles that we’ve undergone as being cut by some of those dearest to our hearts.  This hero of epic proportion has earned every ounce of respect that has ever been showered upon him and more often than not . . .most of his deeds slipped by unglorified and underappreciated.    The safer route being my Dad’s calculated, worrisome way & me being that unmanageably obtuse son bent on doing things by impulse and belief – we have both arrived at similar outcomes, we’ve both endured our share of undressed wounds and we both characteristically like our drinks stiff & untainted by sweet corn syrupy additions  . . . God damn it’s exhausting out there in the Ocean of life, spending more time under beseeching current than surfing the majestic wave above.   I don’t think either of us anticipated having to start over so many times let alone coping with the disappointment of the cause.

I have tested my Dad’s wisdom most often to my own penalty, the most recent example of my insubordination delivered August 2010 when my father forbid me from signing the LLC partnership papers that were drafted by my nearly not beloved business partner.  My papa saw it, but I was too far committed to my employees, the landlord, the very essence of my word . . . so what did I do?  I married with the devil and look where it got me – I’ve lost everything  . . . again!  Dad didn’t bother to tell me “I told you so!”  He didn’t want to be right for my sake.  And now, even though I went against his pleading  . . it is he who has offered everything to fight this overshadowing evil, empting his pockets & plundering his reserves to fund my declarative claim to justice.  It’s no wonder that tears rain true and genuine whenever my mind wanders to images of my father.   I love you dad and couldn’t be any prouder to be your son . . . maybe I’d be that much further ahead if I’d listen better.

Dad always loved Whoppers, Almond-Joy bars, mint-chocolate chip ice cream and lemon meringue pie but his real love is more on the savory side of things – steak & potatoes sort.  So today I forefeit this recipe in honor of Mr. Gregory Arthur Wagner for being the best damn dad in my world!  May the bruises heal quickly, the steak bleed tenderly & unlimited, appreciative love flow into your life!

With endless gratitude,
                      Scotty

Black & Blue Filet Mignon with Roasted Garlic Mashers

Ingredients
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Season the portabellas on both sides with the salt and pepper. Place on an aluminum foil lined sheet pan and drizzle with the olive oil. Place in the oven and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle 1/4 cup of the blue cheese onto the center of each mushroom, along with 1 tablespoon of walnuts. Place in the oven and roast until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Set a 10-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. Season the filets with the spice rub and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the olive oil to the saute pan and place the filets in the pan. Sear the beef until well caramelized, about 3 minutes. Turn over and continue to cook on the second side for an additional 3 minutes. Place in the oven and roast until cooked to medium-rare, about 10 minutes. To serve, spoon a pile of potatoes on 4 entree plates, top with the roasted portobellos and ladle the homemade Worcestershire sauce around the mushroom. Place the beef alongside. Garnish with the chopped parsley. 

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
  • 3 heads garlic, split in 1/2
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 stick butter, cubed
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup cream cheese
  • Salt and white pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Place the garlic on a sheet of aluminum foil, season with salt & pepper, drizzle with olive oil & place in a pan. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender and golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool. Squeeze or remove the garlic cloves from the head and place in a small bowl. Using a fork, mash the garlic until smooth.
Place the potatoes in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and drain. Place the potatoes back in the pot and return to the heat. Stir the potatoes, constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes to dehydrate the potatoes. Remove the potatoes from the heat. Add the garlic and butter. Using a hand-held masher, mash the butter and garlic into the potatoes. Add enough cream cheese until desired texture is achieved. The potatoes should still be sort of lumpy. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment