Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sleepy Rainbows, Murmurring Intentions . . Cupcake anyone?

“To be alone was something unpleasant. But I was at the same time conscious of a slight insanity in my mood, and seemed to foresee my recovery.”
Henry David Thoreau,


Dragging my feet, my body, my mind into mid-week has been an effort to say the least.  I’ve slept so much, roughly sixteen hours yesterday, that my dreams are hard to differentiate from reality.   The two concepts inseparable as a root from its stem, I seem to be drawing little nutrients from the soil and impervious to the restorative sunshine . . I just want to sleep.  And so I do, did . . now, awake again at some capacity.

What makes one dive deep into a cavernous state of darkness and solitary confinement?  The many transformations of life are what makes it so beautiful.  I often say that I an “everyday of sunshine” would only make us ever so less appreciative.  It is the lightening stroked storms, the destructive tornadoes, the overcast stratocumulus cloud cover that encourages us to look for a burst of sunshine harboring an endless rainbow.  Back when I use to self educate myself, I read a fair amount of Thomas Moore and if I recall correctly – depression is something to be cherished as much as happiness.  My companions along this adventure have been ice cream, bacon, my pillow, salt, water, the TV – in particular HBO, cigarettes and my PJ’s.  It’s stretching in to a two day binge of neglect for all responsibility . . well, almost – I have managed to scribble a few emails and answer  a few phone calls.

Needless to say, the water dragon is awakening from its slumber but at a nominal pace.  What becomes of tomorrow is yet to be determined.  I stand before the mirror of introspection, gazing at an image of myself but unable to see the shadows that lurk behind me . . . till the new day turns, more bathing in bacon & crunching of ice cream . . . more dreams of winged chinchillas holding parliament . . . more endless possibilities and endeavors for lost rainbows.

With culinary blessings
                Chef Scotty

 A RECIPE FOR RAINBOWS

Ingredients
·         White cake mix (we used an 18-1/4-ounce box)
·         Food coloring (red, blue, green, and yellow)
·         Baking cups
·         Whipped cream (optional)
Instructions
1.      Prepare your favorite white cake mix, then divide the batter evenly among six small bowls. Following the chart below, dye each bowl of batter a rainbow color.
RAINBOW COLOR
DROPS OF FOOD COLORING
Purple
9 red and 6 blue drops
Blue
12 drops
Green
12 drops
Yellow
12 drops
Orange
12 yellow and 4 red drops
Red
18 drops
2.      Line 16 muffin pan wells with baking cups. Evenly distribute the purple batter among the cups, then the blue, and so on, following the order shown. As you go, gently spread each layer of batter with the back of a spoon to cover the color underneath.
3.      Bake the cupcakes according to your recipe directions. Before serving, remove the paper wrapping, and if you like, top each cupcake with a whipped-cream cloud.

2 comments:

  1. I picked this version of bb king's "the thrill is gone" and it has me laughing hysterically cause I picked it more for how freakin tired he looks up there on stage than the actual music!!! He seems to suffer through the song in a stream of sweat and tireless effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rainbow cupcake recipe! I have those moments too, when sleep and reality are difficult to tell apart.

    ReplyDelete