Sunday, January 15, 2012

It's on the Books! Penny for your Worries, Worshorseshire Sauce

I do believe in simplicity. It is astonishing as well as sad, how many trivial affairs even the wisest thinks he must attend to in a day; how singular an affair he thinks he must omit. When the mathematician would solve a difficult problem, he first frees the equation of all incumbrances, and reduces it to its simplest terms. So simplify the problem of life, distinguish the necessary and the real. Probe the earth to see where your main roots run. ”
Henry David Thoreau

January 15th,  2012

It’s still Friday the 13th but a lot of some nothing has happened – but it’s good stuff.  The judge has set a trial date, which means . . . . there is an end to the madness.  My mind is now reprieved of the constant weight of this overshadowing debacle – or so I shall like to think as the Gregorian Chant settles those background noises with stern secular clarity; the orators channeling angelic influence . . . or simply a monk & num medley of a chorus reciting Latin?   

Freedom comes in many forms but it is more a state of mind in our American society than any environmental precedence (ie: tyranny in 3rd world countries).  I guess I could highlight the numerous “viral marketing” articles regarding the freedom of homosexuality with the GOP going on but really, I don’t see it as that big of an issue.  Maybe that makes me a moron amongst my people but I see our global warming and destruction of the planet as the number one cause to action.  After all, depleting our resources & raping Mother Nature is ultimately nothing more than tearing down the foundation of earth, walls of trees, the foliage of furniture coverings . . . and with no home – it really doesn’t matter what creed, color, sexual orientation you’re sporting – we’ll all be dead!  So long as we’re on this topic, I’ve always believed that this “gay gene” (whether habitat or humanity) is nothing more than a reversed state of natural selection.  In case you don’t remember that term from Biology 101:

NATURAL SELECTION:  the process by which forms of life having traits that better enable them to adapt to specific environmental pressures, as predators, changes in climate, or competition for food or mates, will tend to survive and reproduce in greater numbers than others of their kind, thus ensuring the perpetuation of those favorable traits in succeeding generations.

Basically the theory in my mind:  if we don’t breed our numbers of infestation will go down thus forth potentially lessening our individual consumption of the planets resources.  If that fails, Mama Tierra will likely unleash a virus that doesn’t come by choice (ie: AIDS), more like the bubonic plague!  All of this, on the edge of the Mayan 2012 prediction and I have to wait to get my dividends out of my businesses.  -Sigh-  I have to trust in the universes schedule and align myself with a sense of purpose.  Let go of this provocative journey Scotty!  Ditch the 1,283 suitcases of weighted baggage, bolt from the airport, and find yourself a lookout above common ground to etch out some semblance of a plan.  Disoriented Putz would be a fair assessment of me in my most recent isocracie – I have seemingly misplaced the “S T”  in “S T A B I L I T Y

Adding on to the previous entries a wee bit late -  it’s now Sunday & I do believe that I just certified my prior assumptions in naming myself as an idiot.  Excuses are really not in repertoire of rationalizing ideas, henceforth I will simply do as I always do . . . forgive myself, let an occasional laugh waft through my surrounding silence in honor of my foolishness and rest up – this is a process well beyond allocating “sleepy-time” and essentially involves multiple applications of recalibrating my mind, balancing out my body & stabilizing the many voices within that compose the essence of my soul.

At least my primary goal is beyond apparent – money, dividends, greenbacks, collateral, funds, capital, coin, mullah . . . my brokenness has reached that most humbling point when one must assess their coinage & either convert to bills (albeit one of those fancy machines at the grocery store) or shucking off those last layers of pride and with an assortment of copper pennies, nickels, dimes and even a few of those now cherished quarters and marching (on foot no less) to the convenience store in pursuit of the life’s only true necessity – cigarettes.  Regrettably, this is not the first time in my adult life that I have sunken to such a state of pathetic worth.  I count at least 5 times in the last ten years that I’ve had to succumb to currency as the primary means of payment; this most embarrassing disposition is at it’s pinnacle of shame when one has no alternative but to pull-over to a gas station (riding on fumes), and finagle $1.33 out of the interior car crevices . . and then throw down that change in front of a line of customers (hope that you at least drive a shitty vehicle & are still sporting your pj’s).  Obviously, the lesson here is more simple than not . . . I’ve been here before, humbled to the righteous core and yet I survived, thus forth one would presume that this too – I shall survive.

With Culinary Blessings,

               Chef Scotty


Chef Scotty’s “Worshorseshire” Sauce:
An experiment in it’s own right – Worcestershire sauce is a staple in our Western World (not an easy to task to accomplish with such a difficult name).  My version is bumped up a wee bit but still relevant to the original recipe.
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6 cups coarsely chopped onions
  • 4 serranos, with stems and seeds, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons freshly ground pepper
  • 4 (2-ounce) cans anchovy fillets (or an 8-ounce can), drained of oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice berry
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 whole, medium lemons, skin and pith removed
  • 4 cups dark corn syrup
  • 2 cups 100 percent Pure Cane Syrup
  • 2 quarts distilled organic apple cider vinegar
  • 4 cups water
  • 3/4 pound fresh horseradish, peeled and grated
  • 3 pint-sized canning jars
Combine the oil, onions and jalapenos in a large stockpot over high heat. Cook, stirring, until slightly soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, pepper, anchovy fillets, cloves, salt, lemons, corn syrup, cane syrup, vinegar, water and horseradish and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the mixture barely coats a wooden spoon, about 6 hours. Strain into a clean container.
Worcestershire Sauce may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month, or processed as directed below and kept for up to 1 year.
Sterilize 3 pint-sized jars and their metal lids according to the manufacturer's instructions. Spoon the hot mixture into the jars, filling to within 1/2-inch of the rim. With a clean, damp towel, wipe the rims and fit with a hot lid. Tightly screw on the metal ring. Place, without touching, on a rack in a large, deep canning kettle or stockpot of rapidly boiling water; water should cover the jars by 1-inch. Boil and process for 15 minutes. Using tongs, remove the jars, place on a towel and let cool completely before storing. Test the seals and tighten the rings as needed. Store in a cool, dark place for at least 2 weeks before using. After opening, store jars in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment