Friday, July 27, 2012

Closure & Strawberry Scallop Sashimi "Shortcake"

Today marks a fairly big day as Eden closes the doors . . . my dream having been dragged through the dirt and dissolved. Yet, it is from the very earth, the same stuff we call mud, that we are able to sculpt something useful, something beautiful be it a vase, a vessel or an empty plate.  This metamorphic process can only occur with a tender hand, a keen eye for detail and assertive diligence balanced proportionately with patience.  I was and still am very proud of my accomplishments in building San Diego's top catering company ChileCo and reincarnating Universal into a new vision as Eden Restaurant & Nightclub. 

Of course, those accomplishments were only made possible by the efforts of so many people that believed in me.  Some of those people no longer believe in me and garner emotions that I simply can't ever hope to rectify.  It's true, I built long-standing relationships based upon passion, organic cultivation and artisan intent and while the majority still see me as an inspiration it is my own evaluation of my self that matters the most.  I guess Eden and I have more in common than just bricks and mortar.  Tomorrow is just around the corner.

Closure allows for growth.  I've finally finished this cheap ass, red bucket of Folgers as such I decided to splurge on some quality Kings Cafe dark roast this morning.  Hell, I'm even forgoing my lactose intolerance and melding my steamy cup of joe with full fat manufacturers whipping cream.  I'll pay for it dearly in the coming hour but enjoying the moment. 

On the moment, there is a most promising future ahead and I'm all to eager to fill my plate once again.  Having lost everything twice, I still believe in myself today as much as I did at day one.  I am an entrepreneur, I am an artist, I am environmentalist & humanitarian . . . my bank account doesn't say success, not right now at least, but with one foot in front of the other . . . 

with Culinary Blessings,

                      Chef Scotty


Recipe: Strawberry-Merlot n' Bay Scallop Sashimi "Shortcake"

Ok, not so much a recipe as a description. I served this as one of my appetizers last night at the "Face Forward" fundraiser held at Unici Casa.  Some overly ripe strawberries inspired this little Summertime canape and I would say that it went over quite well.

Jam:  Fill a pot of strawberries and dose it with a good amount of red wine
Base: Slice some angelfood cake 1/4 inch thick, spray with olive oil and toast
Cream: I used yogurt blended with a little sourcream and added orange blossom water
Scallops: Sashimi - I used fresh bay scallops and let them marinate in champagne
Garnish: Basil works here or Black Tobiko caviar or both

No comments:

Post a Comment