Monday, July 30, 2012

To Rise or Fall & the Mexican Gherkin

Galloping galaxies, this past weekend was more packed than a 1938 South Carolina speakeasy!  So many great faces and friends, heartfelt hugs delivered with mixed emotions of "congratulations & I feel yah, bro." Scotty has been simmering on more than a few items of both personal & professional evolution.  One thing is for certain, I am full-fledged Chef again.

This evolution concept was part of my discussions this past Sunday, as my nearest and dearest girlfriend Ms. Sheliqua Veraquat and I sipped from our Blood Maria's (served up at R-Gang Eatery - thanks Rich Sweeney!).  One must apply themselves to a course of action and yet . . one must pleasantly abide the incantations of what this most intriguing Universe will allow.  Push & Pull. Skip & Jump. Rest & Run.  The vexing nature of neither here nor there . . . please call me, or email me, or text me with confirmation of this most Olympic opportunity of epicurean battle.  Chef Scotty is ready.

Options are presented before me, perhaps too many as usual.  I've contemplated, sorted and stricken those little demons from my meek little realm; and with unlimited virtue - rehired those insistent angels.  My shoulders are lifted by Mallard Duck wings (my angels have a different look to them - more gargoyle meets Garfield if you will) and whilst I've yet to adhere to the life lesson of "balance" . . . the powers that be seem to be aligned.  On to the grub, spit and rub!

I visited the Hillcrest Farmers Market this yesterday morning (dragged my ass out of bed at 6:16am with a whooping cough that can only be attributed to my switch to Winston Lights . . . purging bronchials replacing any need for an alarm clock).  This is where my menu begins, a menu for LA's Grammy royalty this Thursday - sort of important you could say.  Like a mad squirrel I sequestered the perfect bite size heirloom fingerling potatoes from Phil/Sage Mountain Farms (my favorite farmer), a few pints of Mexican Sour Gherkin (f'ing adorable & delish) from Suzie's Farms, some fresh little Ula Poni, Red Walnuts, Organic dried Nectarines and other Organic Fruits that beckoned my wallet to flow like a free falling tree-frog (figs weren't very plentiful, so please excuse the delay).  The menu only partial roughed out in my head - I must divert to last nights paralytic moment in offering you:  Apricot Clafoutis

with Culinary Blessings,

                     Chef Scotty

Recipe: Apricot-Almond Clafoutis

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butters
  • 6 Apricots, halved
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup almond meal
  • 4 large free range eggs
  • 1 tblsp each of vanilla & almond extracts
  • 1/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon ground canela 
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • sliced almonds for garnish

How to make it

  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Melt the butter in an 8-inch nonstick skillet.
  • Using a whisk, mix the flour, almond meal, eggs (beaten already), extracts, sugar, yogurt, canela (mexican cinnamon), pinch of salt and 2 tablespoon of the melted butter from the skillet and mix until you have a smooth batter.
  • Pour the batter into the butter remaining in the skillet and arrange the apricot halves on top, spacing them evenly. Place the skillet over high heat for about 2 minutes and then transfer it to the oven. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and puffy. Remove from oven.
  • Serve the clafoutis directly from the skillet in wedges or unmold. To unmold, make certain that the clafoutis is free from the sides of the pan; if necessary, run a sharp knife around the edge to release it. Slide it gently onto a plate. Cut into wedges, and serve.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment