Friday, July 6, 2012

Independence Works of Self Service

The 4th of July, 2012

Where the sparks fly & the love rekindles, the night ignites, the grill smoulders from neglect of yet one too many Sangria's porously pulsing through ones veins - yes, this was my 4th of July.

Did I cook?  Of course!  It was for a a very good friend who has been kind enough to stick by me through these years of entrepreneurship and adventures of self-preservation, chef conservation and unpredicatable temptations.  The menu was nothing over the top yet it pleased everyones palettes of comfort whilst formidably raising the bar . . . or was that leaving the spout of Sangria open and piddling good vino onto the floor?

My midnight shopping spree (long weekend in San Diego before making it back on the 3rd) provided me just enough time to bust out two brines that bite on the tongue yet balanced bit of sugar & salt quite contright.  Pork & Chicken always needs some layering in my mind as such it deserves a good 24 hour bath (minimum - I prefer 48 hours).   The results of my impromptu menu:

  • Wild Rocket Salad with Truffled Beet, Chevre, Basil, Black Walnut & Lemon Vinaigrette
  • Sweet Corn & Potato Salad with Tarragon induced Creme
  • Garam Masala Pork Tenderloin with Mojo Aioli
  • Roasted Garlic n' Rosemary Angus Burgers with Grilled Pineapple & Fixins
  • Stone Smoked Porter-n-Chipotle Grilled Chicken Legs
  • Canela Apple Cobbler with Oatmeal Cookie Crumble
A bit of miracle?  Not really, I'm that good (LOL) but seriously it was da'bomb diggity for what it was and then we all split for the firework display . . well, almost all of us.  On the route over to the premiere Pacific Coast Beach, we happened to see a Range Rover stuck in the stand.  Stuck might actually not prove to be the best adjective . . . it was damn, outright wedged, sunken and spitting without corrosive action.  My party traveled on.  I made my stand as an American citizen, a Midwestern patriot, a semi-lit moralistic fool envisioning a better world where people cared enough to help a blind stranger (ok, he wasn't really blind, probably loaded to the hilt with this brand new Range Rover and not a bloody clue that he shouldn't ignore the publically posted signs - DO NOT PARK HERE - SAND WILL LAY YOUR over-priced, house mortgaged to the hilt, step over the Nile River from feast to famish, STUPID ASS DOWN!!!!  He saw no sign, he was blind to the obvious; but I would help him none the less.

"Sir, I'd be happy to help you out of this predictament . . I'm from Wisconsin, the Midwest where we have quite a bit worse climat or obstacles that are presented to our everyday lives and most definitely our vehicles"  The fireworks went on without me as I finagled cardboard benath tires and on my white armani knees; scooped ridiculous amounts of sand from underneath the SUV's steel ladened belly.  Took about 25 minutes total but in the end he genuinly thanked me and drove off. 

So what did you do for the 4th?  Gluttony or Giving . . . or combination thereof?  We all need to step it up in this crazy world if we're going to make things better.  I'm no saint, but I can confidently say that I got's skills and that exceeds the epicurean realm with down right morales and ethics.

With Culinary Blessings,

                      Chef Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment