Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Kiss of Consideration & Lemon Verbena

It's time we got back to my original format for the Word of Chi . . y'all know I love music & dancing, poetry and the such . .  and that I may or maynot be a bit of a laughing, walrus freak to funk type of guy so here:
http://www.pp2g.tv/vYXx-ZHM_.aspx

"I'm working on the why"  Chef Scotty

If that doesn't take you back, I don't know what will?  You don't have to be cruel or rich to rule my world cause there's no room at the alter for your preconceived notions or forbearance of my crown.

Alter . . hmm, so I was exhausted this Saturday morning; I slept till 11:30.  And with belated sleep, I have a tendency to dream very deep - rocking the core of my own subconscious reality. Most often I am able to remember my dreams as was such the case today . . ..

Dressed in vain robes of the Roman Catholic Church, I took up arms against my fellow priests.  I had been transported to my old church of adolescence, The Holy Mother of Consolation and yet Father Shumacher was no where to be found and the church itself and been completely remodeled.  The oak & marble having been replaced with steel and concrete; this place reeked of nonconformist Christianity. I can't recall what I was fighting for except that it was something fundamentally wrong; I simply couldn't stand for it.

I lost my i-phone, I can't recall why or where but I did.  Perhaps that is relative to losing contact with so many people in my current life.  My mom, Mother Mary Cleo, was there by my side and as we were departing the sanitarium I massive earthquake rattled the edifice.  Gripping the sidewall and steadying my balance with each bolt & quiver, I heard Emily (my childhood best friend) shout "everyone get down below!"
I could see several people already in the basement; huddling together in a state of fear.  I paused.  The stucco was breaking free and falling and just as I was about to continue my decent down the starwell towards the safety of the basement - the ceiling fully collapsed, burying those poor souls beneath the church of their suppressive Church.

The dream does goes on, but I believe its sufficient enough to say that my world has equally been rocked and riveted.  I am no priest - that's for certain!  But I've held my ground to my beliefs and barely escaped with my own skin.  Stripped of all possessions and most often without full communication.  Is this dream a representation of the mental mind muck that circulates throughout my cerebral shack?  Quien sabe?  I hope it is closure whatever it is.

In keeping with the theme of my Holy Mother memories, there of course were many a bake-sales and after-mass treats as a reward for attending any given sermon.  I give you something comforting with a twist of Chef Scotty spirit in the form of Lemon Verbena . . perhaps one of my favorite herbs.

With Culinary Blessings,

                     Chef Scotty

.    

Lemon Verbena Shortbread Recipe

 3 dozen cookies from the recipe.

Ingredients

  • 2 sticks butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
  • Zest of 2 lemons
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped lemon verbena

Directions

1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until just combined.
2. Sift the flour and salt together, and stir in the verbena. If you are using whole leaf verbena, and not tea verbena, you’ll want to run it through the food processor to get it very fine. Add the dry ingredients into the wet in three batches, restarting the mixer on low speed, and then raising it to medium. When everything is just combined, stop mixing.
3. Roll the dough out on greased & floured half sheet pan and refrigerate until cold throughout, about an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Take the dough out of the fridge.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes, until slightly golden then remove from oven & pre-score in 2 inch by ¾ inch “bars” about 1 cm deep into the dough.  Return to oven for another 10-15 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to stand for 1 minute then finish cutting (all the way down and across) allowing to cool completely before moving/transfering

  

No comments:

Post a Comment