Sunday, August 5, 2012

Chefsitting & Artichoke/Artibloke

Tunes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r92A7ndnZk
I'm not sure . . but I think Lily needs this boost - lovely?  hmm she's a bit of a piece, a manic diva - now, sunshine - that's Kylie, all smiles.  Logan - well, he's using the toilet for number 1 . . . mostly.

Quote: All my life, whenever it comes time to make a decision, I make it and forget about it.
Harry S. Truman

As my little one year old niece, Kylie (otherwise known as Nugget) was roaming around in that four wheeled basket contraption it occurred to me - I am dosh-garnet-good at babysitting in part due to my skills as an experienced chef.  That being said, I can multi-task on ethereal levels (although I would highly refute the idea of yielding a serrated knife whilst having a conversation albeit i-phone wedged to ones ear and simultaneously stretching  counterclockwise to gage the status of a simmering bechamel - the outcome just might hurt like a mofo!).  I know what you're thinking right now!  "Geeze-Louise, anybody can babysit and everybody has it one point or another- get off your high-horse Scotty!"

Oh contrail, my sister has two year old twins and an almost one year old roadruner with an infectious grin.  Count it - three, tres, trois!  That's six little feet running in twelve different directions.  When one is ready to eat, the other is pissing on the couch. When one is peacefully watching the latest edition of Olap & Evie, the other has crashed into the concrete and screaming like a disgruntled banshee.  These little people are work!

Aside from our chalking of the patio, our little game of "pick up the 130 loads of dogshit", practicing ABC's & playing catch (in between clean-ups) I did manage to get them all down for a nice mid-afternoon nap allowing Uncle Scotty the opportunity to tackle the foreboding artichokes that had caught my eye earlier.  The bag of ripened, home-grown tomatoes was a no-brainer, "I'll make some marinara of sorts"  But those damn artichokes - who in the hell ever decided that eating an unbudded flower that resembles some prehistoric contemporary cactus to be "a good idea."  Personally, I like the flavor just fine, but it requires to much work for too little yield in my petty little mind.  Still, I cleaned'em up and made a sexy little farmers basket sauce - I left before dinner & returned to La La Land to . . . hmmm, unrest - let's leave it that.

my friend, "You ok"

me, "Mostly solid, partly flakey, nearly collective to a cause and bound to a belief system that might be considered agnostic"

my friend, "In other words . . you're ok?

me, "more O, less K - fine with IDOKEY"

On that note, I'm heading out for pious walk under the nurturing to starscape with an unknown destination that perhaps, might end in a few margaritas.

with Culinary Blessings,

                       Chef Scotty

RECIPE: Childsplay Artichoke Marinara 
 

2 cloves garlic, minced 
3/4 cup finely chopped onion 
1 1/2 tablespoons minced drained bottled pepperoncini peppers (Italian pickled peppers) 
1/4 cup olive oil 
1/3 cup dry white wine 
1 (32 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped (or fresh as I like to use!)
2 (5 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained well and halved (or fresh if you're insane)
1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olive (I prefer oil cured olives)
1/3 cup minced fresh basil if you got it - or raid the Italian herb rack
OPTIONAL: wine be white or red - it makes things sexier
 
Directions: 
 
1 In a large skillet cook garlic, onion and peperoncini in oil over moderately-low heat, stirring, until onion is softened, add wine and boil 3-5 minutes, or until wine is almost evaporated. 
 
2 Add tomatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened. 
 
3 Stir in artichokes and olives and simmer sauce for 5 minutes and stir in parsley and season to taste. 4 Enough for 1 lb of pasta, such as penne.

No comments:

Post a Comment