Friday, August 17, 2012

Break the Bread & Back with Banshee

Tunes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBw25CrUS-o&feature=branded  (for you Nick - Happy B-Day!)

Quote: "Foes may judge plenty, Friends may fall needy.  Fear not the maker, just keep your brow stearn and follow steadfast thems toes, as they be the wishtaker"  - me


Never mind her blemished, dusty coalminer meets looming stratus cloud appearances . . the bitch screeches like none other!  Lest I not be thankful to my beloved Sister Mary Cleo ("Maria to the Shabaaz" would be the rest of that name - or just plain, Lisa) for loaning me the Banshee.  I've had the privilege of rolling down La Cinenga in this most dilushious relic of a Nissan Pathfinder before.  Lets face it, when the going gets tough the bus sucks just that much more.  Wheels are an improvement on me and a badly needed necessity with the burden of business startup costs, living costs and then those little nippity nugget of almost vanishing legal costs (The tombstones for Eden & ChileCo Catering have long since been picked out but I'm stuck wrestling with "he who's name we shant say" to pick a plot and put the entire affair to bed).  Money.  Got's to whittle some wheat soon if you know what I mean; earn my keep.

I'm lucky and unlucky in many more ways than one.  This little adventure of uncharted life has taken me to such great heights and such dark gallows I've often wondered what ordinary, average or status-quo feel like.  In fact, I am more than  a bit jealous of those that find boredom to qualify as a daily activity. 

Lucky, yes perhaps that's what it is or is it that the same characteristic of "unlucky" happens to channel some of the most amazing experiences imaginable.  Spontaneous action being the catalyst that has probably contributed to more esoteric shifts in my self-righteous path (hereby destiny) than any other cause.  Take Nick for example.  Nick is twenty's something aspiring chef that I just so happened to meet while taking a break at the Remi-Martin events up in Bel Aire this past month. (Cigarettes do have a way of opening up dialogue in rather peculiar settings - not all bad!).  It wasn't planned, just polite conversation and his extension of services should I (the company) ever need them.  The boy was tall, thin as Pensylvannia pushpin, dressed in that little valet outfit that is typical for concierge services and trained monkeys.  "Well, we'll see if something comes up - I'll put your name in with the 24 Carrots director of staffing" 

I ain't at 24 Carrots anymore, but Nick certainly has evolved into one of those ever fortifying realisms that indeed, one should take a chance.  He entrusted himself as I, the mentor took it upon myself yet again - to take upon a pupil, a protege if you will.  Burned at the stake I've often found myself . .  but this kid has it.  The work ethic, the desire, the patience and the persistence . . accumulating the skill.  It matters not if he stays by my side, only that I honor my time and commitment to him as much as he to I.  I think that's how any relationship is really meant to be.  It's as good as it'll get until the balance is thrown off by expectations and the imminent state of disappoint.  Mistakes be made by all, but it is the those who chance that gain the most . . or that's how I'm rolling with it.

Gratitude expressed to all in the matter of thanks - I have said it time and time again.  I wouldn't be nothing without it all - the good, the bad, the lucky and unlucky . . now if only ABC would call.

with Culinary Blessings,

                      Scotty


No recipe - just a menu . . .  This will be Nick's first Lead Chef at one of my events. "Trust I have in you young Skywalker!" Likely to be as shaky as the swamp scene  but I've got faith the boy will pull through.  It's just food afterall and a pretty easy menu at that. 


“The Ashton Martin”

Champagne Sangria of St. Germain Liqueur induced White Peach, Cantaloupe & Citrus



“Once Bitten, Twice Shy”

 Jello Jive

Passionfruit drunken Jello Pink Shrimp Ceviche with Mango, Cucumber, Thai Basil, Mint


Monty Python

Monte Cristo Imposter of Grilled Black Forest Ham, British Cheese & Wild Strawberry Jam


Kashmiri Eggroll

Northwestern Indian marinated Chicken Salad with Psychedelic Red Pepper Sauce


Cubic Aquarian  

Jasmine green tea salt-cured Opah with Pickled Mango




“Culinary Tasting Display”

Cuisine to be Predominately Stationary with Petite Plates & Silverware 



Amber Fields & Green Things

Chef Scotty’s 22-spiced Hummiso, Taziki, Artichoke-Olive Tapenade with Cucumber Coins, Artisan Olives, Pita & Crostini

 Bamboo Shu-mai

Avante Garde Dumplings including Chipotle seduced Pork & Filet Tip-Fennel

 Avo mi Cado

Forked Organic Fallbrook Avocado, Fresh Lime, Crisp Won-Ton Chips


Shephards Redemption

Kosher Lamb indulged with Seasonings & topped with Rosemary Mashers


Chopsticks-n-Cheese

Organic Elbow Macaroni & Cheese with Fontina, Mozzarella and Provolone


Zen Zushi

Steelhead Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese Futo-Maki, Tobiko, Cucumber Shi-shi



Pastry & Caffeination



Staying Awake

Organic & Sustainable Guatemalan Coffee & Premium Teas


Peaches-n-Cream

Cinnamon Custard soaked Challah Bread with White Peaches


Munchies

Lavender Shortbread, Orange Blossom Cannoli, Rice Crispy Treats


Ecstasy of Chocolate

Salted Caramel & Chocolate Pudding, Crumbled Brownie, Whipped Cream

I

No comments:

Post a Comment