Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rewritten, Rewired & Rattlesnake meets Maracuya

Tunes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prKR8PxuHWY
If my words could speak from a song maybe this would speak of the spirits be thee tequila, tempest or snakebite . . it really is sort of awful/be-warned.

Quote: "Kit Kat, Snickers, Whoppers oh my . . . whatever is more clever, the shiny wrapper no better, mincemeat of the mind . . step off the latter no better the blind"  -anonymous

This week has blown past with such urgency that I think I forgot to lift my eyelids enough to see through the shitstorm that would move across my mentality.  ABC didnt' call, Eden's sign torn down and a new business(?) already opening in its place, massive consumption of fermented grains albeit the San Diego Spirit Festival where I participated as a judge for the bartending competition and a rattleless rattlesnake showcasing its diamondback pattern as I descended from the peak of a 5 mile Iron Mountain hike.  I don't like snakes, or shall I say - they give me the willies; nonetheless I shall take heed of this animals totem and symbology of: warning, inevitable change, healing through dis-ease and illness, shedding of burdens and new skin.  Appropriate?  LOL, Yes, all too appropriate!

My liver is attempting to excrete the copious amounts of gin, tequila, vodka, rum and god knows everything else.  I feel like a dump bucket swirling with leftover straws, bruised and beaten citrus fruit, a tattered black cocktail napkin or two, some over chewed watermelon bubblicious gum and several unidentifiable floating objects.  Coffee isn't exactly helping things and bacon has already failed in its traditional ability to line ones gut with rendered grease . . . hopeless only for the brevity of this fine Sunday afternoon . . my spirits are lifted even if my body feels like ass. 

So, the day is now wrapped up.  I've picked up a book but no BF.  Wined & dined with Mr. Wilson at a new joint in WeHo named Laurel Hardware . . Beef Tongue with Green Barley Risotto, a Tat Soi Salad with something of a tahini-dijon dressing and some amazing feta cheese, a perfectly crisp eggplant & burrata pizza and well, yes if you insist - a tequila concoction with habanero, apple & thyme sous-vide, fresh lemon and lime (as if I really needed another drink?).  The food was great, the service on point and atmosphere both comfortable and rustic as you would expect of a once iconic hardware store on Santa Monica Boulevard.  On a lasting note - Chef Mario has the first menu that I've seen with fresh Marcuya on the menu (which is really just yellow passionfruit but somehow it tastes different in Costa Rica).  I feel an inspiration coming on . . . or is it a memory from my first restaurant adventure in Murietta?  Sour, Bitten, Shaken, Stirred . . . that is yet another chapter that we've yet to backlog to.  For now, cuban marinade meets the rattlesnake.

with Culinary Blessings,

                    Chef Scotty

Mojo Rattlesnake a la Marcuya

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 of a serrano chile, seeded, deveined, minced
  • salt, to taste
  • black pepper, fresh ground, to taste

Directions:

  1. Add all ingredients to a small jar, cover and shake for 2 minutes.
  2. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and let rest for at least 24 hours.
  3. Use as a marinade for rattlers, rabbits, doves, turtles & possum - I prefer to grille and serve this tails over some yucca frites topped with freshly shaved manchego or parmesean and a side of freshly sliced cucumbers with a shake down of rice vinegar & sea salt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment