Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Emerald City, Green Lantern & Feijoa's




What do all of these have in common? . . .

The word "green" is closely related to the Old English verb growan, "to grow". Several colloquialisms relate to this word as well: money, someone who is inexperienced, sustainable practices & products and the environmental movement.

November 2nd, 2011

It's 8:57pm and I've finally settled in to scribble down my illustrious thoughts of the day. I must confide ... I am earnestly enjoying my new founded interest in politics via the liberally oriented "The Ed Show" featured on MS NBC at 8pm weekly (Rachel Maddow follows & is quite lovely as well). In confessing a pinch of ignorance, I truly have not actively participated in our local, state or national politics since the days of puberty, garnering a drivers licenses or midnight cow-tipping. I think it a bit of an oddity that it took a cataclysmic whirlwind of occupational corruption to evoke such attention but no matter ... I'm more informed as a participating citizen, responsibly forking at his slice liberty pie.

Folding another "emerald" nugget on to my personal improvement plate ... I've taken up reading of the enjoyable, fantasy, step outside of reality & don't look back till your eyes are drooping & your mouth is drooling. Spying master Stan's vast array of books resembling only the likes of Alexandria, I finally stumbled upon something not of architectural or historian content! Son of a Witch, by Gregory Maguire (also the author of Wicked and better known to most as the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical)shall mark my endeavor to read something for pure pleasure (lord knows I have a bounty of Buddhist books to get through ... but at least, I'm attempting to fit into the phrase "baby steps")

Reciting more memories of enjoyment, I watched "The Green Lantern" last night! Eagerly anticipating this movie since it's debut some 7 months ago, I nestled into the ugliest couch in the world (someday I'll post a photo but for now let's just name this sofa atrocity, Melba Moo) with some less than hygienic meal of Dominoes Pizza & sparkling Sprite.

The movie was about as enthralling as most comic book adventure films go - I shant share any of the storyline details accept that I was mildly disappointed to discover that Ryan Reynolds merely snapped his fingers to change outfits and had no need to strip off his everyday wear before dressing in his elm leaf green super suit (i.e.: some skin would've been nice). The Green Lantern has always been my favorite superhero character since the appearance of my first tooth (alright, Flash is hella cool too!). Harnessing the power of will to do good in the Universe? Could have been the first imprint of moral fiber indoctrinated into my little peanut of a brain!

Ironically, I had in my possession a 4-inch Green Lantern figurine that I "planted" in the open dirt of Eden's patio (my San Diego restaurant/nightclub/bistro that I built from dream up) The last "Social" (google "the Social/Chef Scotty") & first Eden dinner was held that magical night of possibilities and I thought it appropriate that all participants write out their dreams and place them amidst the freshly churned soil at 1220 University Avenue to be sealed in faith & secrecy. I felt no need to write my wishes on a form of papyrus as my dream had come true! Instead, I selected my little iconic green man as a symbol of what I had accomplished and my solitary promise to assist others in achieving their dreams through the realization of my own. Sealed beneath a cast of concrete & mortar, The Green Lantern still shines bright with possibilities even though that dream has drifted far from its origination. Some persons find integrity as an obstacle rather than a pendulum of magnificent proportion.

Speaking of proportion, the Feijoa is not exactly Gilligan's ideal of a substantial, tropical delight but it is exceptionally full of unique flavor. ^pause^ *chomp* +lick+ :smell: ummm, otherwise known as the Pineapple-Guava, this green, egg-sized, ellipsoid-shaped fruit has a mildly sweet, aromatic flavor. The flesh is juicy and politely reminds one of a mild dewy morning, ripe with lilac and sweet peas. Indebted to give you a recipe, I simply must insist upon an evening of contemplation ... this little guy has potent possibilities but it calls for a refined approach & Morimoto technique. It's season is just wrapping up here in California - so make certain to hit up your nearest farmers market and invite the Feijoa into your very own pleasure pantry.

with culinary blessings,
chef Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment