Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lavender Fields Forever


The gametic of gorgeousness . . that's what yesterday was!
After my morning routine I headed down to the savant nightclub Fluxx to meet with their Event Director and review our funky, fresh menu's - the creative element always inspiring. Immediately following my AM appointment I embarked upon a drive up North to Valley Center . . a world away from our downtown urban San Diego sprawl.

Lavender Fields Forever: I passed countless groves of Avocado & Citrus, small side stands sporting locally grown foods forever following the winding roads embroidered by ancient California Oaks and Peppertrees. Eventually I found myself and Anytime (our dedicated Econoline Company Van) traveling a gravel road with enough bumps in it to make me think I had a bad case of hiccups. Another world indeed; I plunged on forward like a pontoon boat in open water channels and eventually descended upon my destination or so I thought . . (damn wrong driveway). Cows, collards, sheep, grapefruit, goats, big ass love laquered bus, hippies . . no this wasn't it but very close indeed. A quick phone call determined that I was situated at the neighbors 100+ acre self sustaining farm (cool all in it's own). Mesmerized, I pulled anytime forward towards the rows of French & English Lavender planted hillside - and their at last, was Alicia Wolff, a South African raised butterfly spirit by true right and owner of the Keys Creek Lavender Farm I had sought out to find.

After quenching my thirst on a little lavender-lemonade and meeting the folks that made this farm operate I went on a tour learning the works of distilling lavender, crafting tallow soaps, tilling the fields of the endeared violet florets and most certainly . . taking in the prospects for events & weddings (yes that's correct - this was to be work after all). Alicia had transformed a neglected agricultural operation into the quaintest, most serene farm of English etiquette! Before leaving a made certain to peruse the little tin roofed gift shop and selected some items all to perfect for my sisters newly hatched twins - score!

With kisses and thanks, Anytime & I rumbled back out the gravel path and made one final pit stop at the Stargazer farmers booth to purchase some liquid vitality (freshly squeezed grapefruit, collards, chard and such), peruse the assortment of Sapote & Loquat trees and in conversing with the Grateful Dead attendant . . I struck up conversation with Kyle, a charming little lady visiting from Chicago that was selling Wisconsin made products & outsourcing organically grown fruits for "Apple & Quince" and "Potters Crackers" How cool was that - made not more than 15 minutes from where I was born! A mere glimpse of the Universe working it's miracles and enlightening my soul . . Scotty's back on track folks!

Keys Creek Lavender Farms: Available to all on Saturdays & Sundays you will certainly enjoy the drive 12460 Keys Creek Road, Valley Center, CA 92082 or call Alicia & Chris at 877-358-0444

1 comment:

  1. in my neck of the woods again. their lavendar items smell sooo good. nice coverage, scotty!

    ReplyDelete