Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Best Value by the Buck & Local Lobster Bisque


“If the day and the night are such that you greet them with joy, and life emits a fragrance like flowers and sweet-scented herbs, is more elastic, more starry, more immortal- that is your success. All nature is your congratulation, and you have cause momentarily to bless yourself. The greatest gains and values are farthest from being appreciated. We easily come to doubt if they exist. We soon forget them. They are the highest reality. Perhaps the facts most astounding and most real are never communicated by man to man. The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.”
― Henry David Thoreau,

December 18th, 2011

For those of you already following my almost daily journal, say goodbye to my little screenplay introductions (literally – pulling them off today) and greet my new intro of daily quotes by an American author, poet, philosopher, abolitionist, naturalist, tax resister, development critic, surveyor, historian, and leading transcendentalist – Henry David Thoreau. Perhaps best known for his book, Walden, his words have always resonated with me, his literary style interweaving close natural observation, personal experience, pointed rhetoric, symbolic meanings, while displaying a poetic sensibility, philosophical austerity, and love of practical detail. Aside from keeping my cloistered mind focused, my hope is that you discover a boost of inspiration from his accomplished writings; pause in deep conscious thought, reflect on the potential of his words and then continue reading “The Word of Chi” in anticipation of this aspiring author’s clumsy collection on full flavored living!

Full living” being a point of interest, a common denominator throughout this literary equation, a long-term goal etched in the master plan . . . Attention required to my physical well-being could no longer be ignored. My back has been agonizing these past few weeks (3 long served years in normal human terms), unbearable clustered grenades of lactic acid firing off from within, no pill able to comfort, no hammer able to penetrate (no lie – I’ve pounded my back by more than a few construction tools in hopes of tenderizing the constricted muscle tissue). I concede at last to what those whom walk a life of normality would do – attend to the problem! Enter: dirt cheap massage therapy

Exit: per-conceived thought, “$15 foot massage” say’s the quincenera , rose colored neon sign externally hanging from a rather decrepit awning. So one would assume that the joint, nestled between a modestly ghetto laundrymat, Health Department “Grade C” recipient taqueria, and Adolfo’s Fine Spirits (LOL) wouldn’t likely be furnishing the Ritz-Carlton spa package, right? I mean seriously folks, who cares about aesthetics when the price is comparative to a one hour n’ twenty minute blockbuster movie ticket! I pondered, “This sounds like a score, a sweet deal, a two bill deal for some well needed nourishment at below fair market price.” Read on Maybelline, read on . . . .

I open the standardized Pittsburgh steel mill, glass framed door and find a brandy stained bamboo host stand with a pleasant Southeast Asian receptionist (receptionaire? Is there a different word for a male host???). He say’s “welcome, you want soft, medium or hard?” Is this a rhetorical question? Am I being punked? The moment of gayness passess and I reply, “hard, very .. very hard!” We pass through a narrow inlet between the serried panels of Shoji Screens depicting your typical backdrop of red crowned cranes, budding cherry blossoms and vertically floating koi. As my gracious maitre d’ guides me to one of the twelve massage tables visible from my not quite 282 degree view, I’m thinking “ok, so the $15 sign was a hoax to usher people through the door and then charge them a crisp President Grant for a standard massage. Whatever! My back f’ing hurts so bad I’ll gladly forefeit the remains of my wallet if one of these fine folks is capable of relieving my debilitated spinal cord.”

PAUSE: real-time, my sister just got up at 7:53 and brought me the one we call Nugget . . so adorable! I juggle her attempting to continue my writing . . then concede to placing her on the bed, wrapping her in my Keneth Cole cotton pull over . . . I admire her and share a conversation, speaking in infant tongue of “hiiyeeee’s, & aweeehhhh’s” She squirms this way & that, then flex’s her petite nub’s for legs and . . . rips a 5 second fart like a grown man after having eaten too many baked beans – Hilarious!!!!!!

A stout, sort of frumpy man with weathered facial lines predicting an age slightly more than half-century brings a bucket of steaming water and murmurs, “you take off shoes, shirt – put feet water” I’m leary, anticipating a blistering teapot effect and so I cautiously steep my size 14, triple wide left foot it. Neither scalding nor timid, my right foot happily follows suit and a I stripe to down to quasi-naked Voyeurism is apparently non-applicable at this establishment, the other seven persons furnishing undies and pants with all remaining unseen flesh discreetly covered by yards of terry-cotton towels.

The man returns. Curiously I wonder if he will simple nosh on my disabused toes, but silently hopeful that at any minute he will break-down my upper quadrant in Andrea Centazzo percussionist fashion. He begins with an application of lotion to my shoulders, kneading with a touch of assessment, stroking downwards towards my butt crack, both hands diligently testing my anatomical status. After a sensual tasting, Mr. Miyagui initiated a full-throttle, bone crack-a-lacking, rigor mortis a la tendon stretching, physique calibrating, push-pin-pressure point-persuading deep-tissue massage to my entire living corpse! It was as if he possessed full knowledge of “the force” - this man was the master Yoda re-incarnated and I his obedient disciple. I begged, “Beat me! Pound at will and strike down my knotted dark evils that loath me from within.”

At the end, breathing with such gratitude I asked, “You are incredible, What is your name? That was the most amazing massage I’ve ever had in my entire life” The jedi-masseuse responded, “Tony, tank you Mr. you very nice.” I exited the place believing I would have a bill by the minute, and having no idear how the clock had turned I imagined a invoice of upward $120. The receptionaire (will go with that) replied, “fifteen dollars please.” No, no this couldn’t be right – this man should be institutionalized! Yup, that’s right folks – right here on Springdale St & Westminster Avenue, Orange County . . you too can have the massage of your life for the price of two Happy Meals!!! Almost shameless, I tipped only $25 on the $15 tab, bought 4 gift certificates and booked a 10am appt for the next day . . . its 9:10am now, I haven’t showered yet or proof-read this journal entry so I leave you with “the best value by the dollar blog” and a recipe for Tommy Gomes, Catalina Offshore Products local Spiny Lobster Bisque.

Lobster Bisque Recipe
Ingredients

2 1-lb. cooked local, spiny lobsters from Catalina Offshore Products
1 cup lobster stock (recipe to follow this week/keep your lobster shells in freezer)
4 tbsp. clarified butter
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 med. minced onion
1 each bay leaf
1 lg. minced carrot
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 tsp. chopped garlic clove
1/4 cup brandy
1 stalk minced celery
2 cups heavy cream
2 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 cup dry sherry
salt and pepper to taste
Instructions

Remove all meat and tamalley from lobster shell. Place in bowl and chill. Chop lobster shells as fine as possible. Heat a medium size saute pan until hot and add butter. As butter starts to smoke, add shells, reduce heat and cook shells for 1-2 minutes tossing the shell pie fragments frequently. Add all the minced vegetables and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes. Slowly sprinkle in the flour and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer everything into a 2 quart saucepan and deglaze the saute pan with the sherry adding everything to the saucepan. Heat the mixture until hot then slowly add the lobster stock until the soup thickens. Add the tomato paste, thyme, bay leaf, and paprika.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott,

    When I got to the end of your story, I was surprised you were up in my area for that massage! I've been living where Springdale ends before it reaches the ocean in Huntington Beach for the past 3 months.

    We met briefly last year through Fast Forward Events and Mark Kuhlman as well. Do you keep in touch with Mark Kuhlman? I still go to San Diego on the weekends to visit friends & pitch in at Collaboration Kitchen with Tommy. Please do keep in touch by following me back on Twitter @Ms_Terree, as I am a fan of your cooking. I've been making friends at Whole Foods Market in Huntington Beach, and met fellow San Diego transplant Nathan Coulon (now Exec Chef at True Foods Newport Beach). So what are your plans these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about my delayed response - Just going back now and checking for comments. Mark & I are facebook friends, awaiting the end of a long legal battle over my businesses so for the moment, I'm in LA. Didn't want to compete against my own companies. Lot's on the horizon - I have twitter account as well but am terrible at it . . I'll try set-it up but feel free to find me on facebook

      Delete