Saturday, December 17, 2011

Blown Out Flames, Butterdreams "be left" Untold & Razorback Ridge


I am a happy camper so I guess I’m doing something right. Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.”
Henry David Thoreau
December 17th, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVzIGMqRznk

What a difference writing with a clear head! My spinal cord is relaxed, the twins cakes are complete I’m ready for a Saturday of Chucky Cheese and a small tribe of children drooling, ducking & most certainly, wailing! Getting to know my sisters little family of five: my sister “Mary Cleo to the Shabaz," the 2 year old twins, Lily & Logan, the 3-month old enfant, Kylie (or Nugget as we affectionately refer to her) and finally, Kevin (her husband – say no more Scotty), has been an unforeseen luxury, a generous gift, a blessing in disguise resulting from this whole fraudulent acquisition of my San Diego businesses. Tonight, I play the role of babysitter – diapers plastered with mucky poo to change, mouths chirping in fascist aggravation to be fed, toy’s dispersed throughout the modest Westminster labyrinth like an upturned jigsaw puzzle box . . . I love these kids and absolutely can’t wait to strap on my shit-kickers, dig out my Uncle Scotty Cowboy hat & lasso up some childhood imagination!

Yesterday was a day for tears. Tears shed for someone else’s pain . . well, a bit of my own in remembering Mo and Sammy’s loss of his only son . . but for all said purposes – the untouchable, unthinkable, unequivocal losses sustained by a parent outliving their child are nothing that I can quite relate with. Comforting a friend in need, I will act out my role in neighborly custom, probably drop-off some home-cooked meals for Robin & Gayla, offer my condolences and let them mourn at their own steadfast pace. I have nothing else to offer at this time – the tragedy still fresh to their thoughts as a smashed jack-o-lantern before the day of Halloween.

Prayers will be appreciated, memories will be savored and rivers of cobalt tears of tomorrows not had will no doubt, flow endlessly; but today, in my own circle of Disney-matic life, I hold dear the celebration of these two little tikes, a lioness & cub’s birthday party of laughter, partial skim mozzarella cheesy pizza, unfathomable calories consumed in the form of these twin tower cakes (I’m still twitching from last night’s cake bake session - the copious amounts of sugar coercing through my every blood vessel . . I finished at 1:30 am)

Food for thought, When is the last time you actually baked a birthday cake? Really, what better of a gift for your spastic sister-n-law, your devoted single-serving friend or that rotten crab-apple of a wicked witch neighbor across the way? A Nordstrom’s metallic silver gift-wrapped, Visa snaffled expense, down to the very last minute rush . . . purchased by necessity, expectation, compliance . . . hell, at least you didn’t cop out albeit a $50 gift certificate from Bed Bath & Beyond! A cake, your efforts regardless of their Duncan Hines plagiarized torte variation, is a much more of an authentic birthday present . . more than any forfeited American dollar bills at least. I implore you to pick somebody’s upcoming big day and dream up the extra effort to create some virtuous confection draped in a sheath of almond praline buttercream, scharfenberger dark chocolate ganache, or even settle for some pre-manufactured, overly sweet confectioners sugar frosting – your reward will gain you pounds of sincere appreciation.

with Culinary Blessings,
                     Chef Scotty

Here is a recipe for Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
*Now this isn’t exactly the recipe I use (a more French based variation that requires a bit more attention) but will suffice for nearly any occassion

Ingredients:
• 1 pound box (about 3-3/4 cups) powdered sugar
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 3 - 4 tablespoons milk
• Add a touch of sauvignon blanc, orange blossom water, imagination

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix until combined. Add more milk if necessary for spreading consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment