Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What's Love got to Do with Food?



So, one of my latest blogs, jogged on about the past, present & future in reference to “presents & presence.” I woke up to a welcoming "yesterday fog" and at some random break in the dawn ended up in conversation with my sister about the parking tickets that I am currently indebted to the City of Los Angeles in excess of $279.00. I agreed to pay them promptly and after insulating my veins with copious amounts of caffeine, I departed my temporary beach residence and was rather unsurpleased (new word I created – I like it) to find a crisp new parking ticket on the Banshee’s dashboard (my sis’s car with a rather unpleasant squeal evoked from a rather antiquated fan belt).

My point here – life is like parking tickets . . . our neglect for the signs of our past (torturous accumulated fees & choice to evade public notice) cause consequence only noticeable in the present with hope that we’ve learned from these past experiences to perhaps influence our decisions of the future! Or: Notice & Obey the damn signs . . . which brings me to our proceeding in-depth discussion on the merits of love, free-will & destiny?

December 7th, 2011

I’m typing - yes, but I’m simultaneously watching “The Adjustment Bureau” which is rather appropriate to this personally provocative perspective on serendipity. For the few followers, (although many more to join) you might find my writings on this most recent introduction to Melbourne love a bit redundant – but I do believe I can properly defend my intentions . . . keep an open mind & enjoy the ride

How we met:
Conscious decisions are the recourse of one’s actions . . . although I cannot be certain of the subconscious or higher-conscious influence – it is presumable that they also have some stake in making the “what is” versus the “what could have been.” I myself, made seven conscious decisions on that brisk Autumn Thanksgiving Day that brought me to my barren knees and broke open the yolk.

1.) I opted to pass on a local Thanksgiving with my Sister & her Family –said no
2.) Mr. Wilson asked me if we were should have a bunch of friends over for a Chef Scotty T-day dinner –said yes
3.) I was presented with an opportunity to work a Thanksgiving event for another Caterer & badly in need of funds – I said yes
4.) Unrest with the pay & poor communication from the caterer – I seriously gave thought to cancelling. I vacillated for two days but ultimately opted to hold my word -yes again
5.) Having worked the event, exhausted after 2 thanksgiving dinners . . . wanting sleep, but having some instinctual inclination to conclude the evening with a cocktail; I proposed to my event assistant(Princess Whitney) that we go out to the Abbey - big yes to martini
6.) I led the way in driving – then Whitney sort of channeled ahead as if she new exactly where to park. She swooped into the parking lot directly across from the Abbey, normally a tow zone - I questioned her judgment yet she insisted it was cool and after deliberating the ramifications decided my quench was more important - yes
7.) We ordered a stiff cocktail (which took forever) and wanting to sit outside with a view of the patio bar & an ashtray of convenience; I insisted that we procure one of the two upper cocktail tables. Immediately one emptied and we moved in for the kill! Too late! Some rather large, Leo like Lesbians proclaimed their domain. My eyes focused on it's twin sister table which had a trio of full drinks & full pack of Marlborough Lights, but no obvious residents . . We pounced like new born cubs on a wounded gazelle. Gloating over our prized acquisition, rehearsing the agony of cleaning 132 dishes and yet fully aware that these unknown people would be coming back ... we kept alert. Sure enough, a few minutes later three gentlemen returned -surely we'd have to forfeit our treasured table! One look at the blue eyed, sandy blond haired foreigner and it was imminently clear - to hell with good manners -we would hold our post with conviction . . . my eyes translating, my heart pounding, my words . . well, . . . floundering at best.

Our acquaintance pre-ordained? Fate? Destiny? Maybe/Maybe Not. But that was quite a few distinctive choices that led to me meeting an extraordinary man. And from that point, the chain of coincidence & choice continued well beyond our initial introduction. Our fairytale future is still under the hand of scribe. The infamous Disney ordained ending "and they lived happily ever" only a forethought . . the finality left up to each as individuals and yet to be played out! As an excerpt from my Matt Damon amorous flick shares, “I can go through this door by myself and you’ll never see me again or with you by my side . . . and that’s all I’ve ever wanted since the day I met you.”

It’s always our choice, our elective choice that sculpts the clay in the image of our destiny. Quite honestly, I don’t believe I’ve ever paid as much attention to the words within all of these love ballads & cinematic dramas. I guess, I've never really had anything permanent to relate it with! (I mean, I’ve had puppy love, love at first sight, learned love, abusive love, family love . . . but, not this “true love" thing that Hollywood exploits ...who new that it actually does exist?)

Taking a step back further into the nature of these writings; Food is the very premise for my career as a Chef (and this blog) but certainly not the sustenance of my soul. We must admit that food has risen above any primal resource of survival and affectionately been elevated to a stature of creative entitlement as an artists median to be interpreted . . . ingredients painted upon canvas and displayed as cuisine if you will. And while one would think my words might be better appropriated to proper spice etiquette or lessons on Polynesian cooking . . . it is my endearing endeavor to explore all of life’s lessons utilizing all of my native born talents which translate well beyond that of a twinkle toed, Midwestern bred culinarian!

Case in point, isn’t Love a necessity of humanity? What is life without love and how does or will that affect one’s perception of such things as food, tastes & desires? A whole new scenario is beset upon my feet and thus calls for proper evaluation of ones feelings, sensations and potential reformation of core ideals. Be it shared or solitary - the deck has been shuffled, the game no longer fully understood and the players of ego, spirit & emotion all blindfolded to any previously known omen - God life is grand isn't it?

"Most just follow the plan as proceeded by the chairman but every now & then there is someone who knocks down all of the obstacles put in your way – the chairman’s plan forced to be re-written in the image of ones will"

The only recipe I offer today is an assignment of awareness . . . it's all in the details whether past, present or future . . .. wear your heart on your sleeve and keep venerable eyesight. Fear not the pain of loss - it's unavoidable in all of it's manifestations, but choose a life of brimming with possibilities, hopes and desires. There are no guarantees in life only the certainty of choice . . . I believe this foreboding true love simply awaits our discovery.

The mirror reflecting the image of ones sightless self, the shadow casting the image of ones obscured perception . . we each march to the beat of our envious heart, unbeknownst to the trumpet swan's courting

with Culinary Blessings

Chef Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment