Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Writings Unwritten & Blackened Sea Scallops

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms.”
― Henry David Thoreau, Walden: Or, Life in the Woods


December 21st, 2011

No "real" writings in this journal today - it's keeping to the heart ... maybe to be entered at a later date. Hell, we haven't gotten to know each other well enough for me to tell you all the dirty roses planted in my field of unkempt dreams, rooted vegetables and promising blossoms. Complications are synonymous with living, but as yesterdays entry divulged the efforts of a team to carryout any one certain goal or aspiration - it is the "I" that set's the pace of advancement . . or the unavoidable retraction.

Something a little aggressive for the pan but still sweet to the tongue - blackened scallops accompanied with a creamy n' piquantly spicy sauce. Appropriate to my standing at this moment (but a moment is just that folks - it too has to forfeit to the next, moving the chains - regardless of their direction). I've pulled my Cocoa-Sangiovese Short-ribs from the oven, pickled my Graverstein apples to hold a delectably Gewurztraminer-Pear Cider Sorbet ... and it's time to pack up for yet another Christmas catering event. Perhaps good ole Nat King Cole can electrify my holiday spirit . . if not, I'll call upon the rickity-dickity Elves of Marbled Assumptions for a breakdown on this weeks transactions. Maybe they know something I don't!

Chef Scotty


Blackened Sea Scallops with Chorizo Cream Sauce

Chef notes: I like to serve this with Israli Pearl Cous-cous (ie: pasta) but you make the call – sweet & spicy sure to invigorate your sexlife . . at least for one night!

Ingredients
• 20 ounces sea scallops – feet removed
• Cajun spice mix, recipe follows
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat a skillet over high heat. Dredge scallops in spices and saute on both sides. Finish the cooking in the oven, for about 4 or 5 minutes.
It is also wise to have all your windows open, and all your smoke alarms disconnected, considering the amount of smoke that this wonderful dish produces.

Cajun Spice Mix:
• 1/4 cup kosher salt
• 1/4 cup cayenne powder
• 1/4 cup paprika
• 1/4 cup garlic granules
• 1/4 cup black pepper
• 2 tablespoons onion granules
• 2 tablespoons dried oregano
• 2 tablespoons dried thyme
Mix well. Store in glass or plastic container with lid.

Chorizo Cream Sauce:

Ingredients
serves: 4
5 links of chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup pecorino, grated

Method:
1. Fry the chorizo for 2 minutes in a frying pan until golden.

2. Add the pepper and fry for 10 seconds. Add the cream, bring to the boil

3. Add the cheese and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes then remove from the heat.

4. Serve immediately over a bed of fresh pasta with blackened scallops. Garnish with fresh cilantro stems and possibly bacon bits

No comments:

Post a Comment