Monday, December 5, 2011

Shark Skewers, Soulful Sands & Dancing Hummingbirds





In my last entry I promised some culinary inspiration & I do believe that it surfaced beyond forethought . . Lemongrass salt cured Lake Trout, Shiraz drunken Tofu with Fig-Peppercorn Jam, Pink Shrimp Sushi with Creole Aioli, Caper, Lemon Zest & Asparagus, Coho Salmon Sushi with Mango, Jalapeno, Pickled Ginger, Mint & Cilantro, Fire-Roasted Shishito Peppers, Chinese Black Bean & Toasted Garlic stoked Shrooms, Gingerized-Coconut Shark-n-Pineapple Skewers . . . it was a Pearl Harbor Party Theme. Nothing over-the-top amazing in my book but appropriately pleasing to a Pacific Rim palette.

December 5th, 2011

Christmas Time is upon us . . the soft enchanting melancholy floating through the air coercing one to flash their credit cards and lavishly expense intentions of thanks in the form of a sapphire bracelet, the newest Tonka toy, the softest cashmere sweater, the conventionally obscure kitchen appliance. Ironically, I have only enjoyed financial freedom in this season . . oh, perhaps 4 years of my young adulthood. Funds always pressed to afford the luxury of keeping a flourishing business (or in my case: rebuilding another one). At least this Christmas of 2011, I'll have the time necessary to embark upon a more meaningful shopping spree.

I'm sitting here at my friends home just a few steps from the Marina del Rey beach contemplating my next move. The chess pieces all but positioned and awaiting my anticipated response. I guess I've always been fortunate to have a bounty of opportunities thrown at my feet, at last I believe I need tread not lightly, nor shall I break-out in blinded sprint but pace myself with calculated awareness. I found this poem that I wrote in 2001 that is appropriate to my disposition today.

"Soulful Sands"

Call your legend or serve proclaimed title!
No longer shall thee breed contempt, nor string chords of maddening melancholy.
The sands lay with fondness as one grain joins a blanket of virtue,
Reseeding waves washing away forgiveness, the lost rediscovering their purpose.
What is to become, need only be righteous by intent.

Take from it what you "will" - Recent events in my life have instilled a respective trust in a higher power that functions whence one has put forth proper intention. No longer the captive of "sink or swim" . . My instinct for survival has conceded to a joyful reluctance in following happiness (in all of it's many forms). The hummingbird guiding my way with it's forever combative wings carrying it to the neighboring blossom, sipping the sweet nectar and then on to the next fruitful flower . . . OMG - am I've diverted to a state of philosophical fantasy, where's my sense of humor at????

Maybe I'm just winding down from the towering heights of true love? Laughter somehow escapes me at this moment - maybe it's just the shitty coffee tainted by faux-Baileys? A recipe for adventure: chinese 5-spiced shark skewer

Marinade for Chinese 5-Spice Shark & Plum Skewer
Prep: 5 minutes
1 cup plum wine
2 Tbsp. ginger, fresh, minced
1/4 cup ketjap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce or sub barbecue sauce)
1/2 cup sesame oil
1-1/2 tsp. cilantro, fresh, chopped
1-1/2 tsp. Chinese five spice blend
1-1/2 Tbsp. sea salt (or to taste)
1 Tbsp. fresh black pepper

4 lbs Thresher or Mako Shark (sub sustainable fish when possible)
4 lbs Fresh Plums, Peaches or other Stonefruit

Mix all ingredients well. Coat each piece of shark completely - do not just pour marinade over the fish. Turn shark every 15 minutes while marinating.

Marinate for 30 minutes. Soak bamboo skewers in water (substitute wooden chopsticks or sugarcane spears) and assemble skewers by alternating pieces of shark with plums (or substitute any fresh stonefruit)

Grill on each side for two to three minutes and serve.

with Culinary Blessings,

Chef Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment