Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tot, Soar Sushi, the Perhaps . . . .

Seemingly I missed my new nickname for Sarah this week - the inspiration dawned upon me with only a few ounces of tea and rather refreshing shower - Tot. I'll have to compose the 2010 list as I think it'll be rather interesting.

Soar Sushi: Went there last night and it is quite the diamond in the rough. You have to travel to a world beyond (downtown on National avenue just down the block from the Wonderbread House in Logan Heights) . . reminds of the adventures in discovering (and rediscovering) the great Dim Sum houses in San Francisco. My favorite was down several allies and ended in a rather run down nook. You new you were there when you found the baby bok choy handing on a chained link fence that butted up against a church parking lot. Whence you arrived you descended down these steps into the old world of the Orient - no tourists as they never could have found it and much to the reluctance of the Chinese mafia - me and my posse of culinary students embarked upon numerous tastings of moonbuns, shu-mai, dumplings, potstickers, pork shanks and usually passed on the more extensively "interesting" items involving offal, reptiles,and unidentifiable fishes.

Going back to Soar - the entrance is very urban in appearance with no real identifiable sign except for a rug out front (scripted with Soar Sushi). Chef Jeff and his team prepare a sushi buffet on Mondays for $15 a person with a cash bar. The udon noodle & teriyaki chicken were superb and my staple for the evening. The sushi was good I just refuse to eat anything with fake crab henceforth my selections were limited. Beautiful koi paintings and several TV's showcasing the Monday American sports create somewhat of a mixed environment neither serene Japanese nor downtown sports bar . . this place is unique and worth checking out - hell where else are you going to find a meal like this for $15.00.

the Perhaps: perhaps my spirits are warped by the constant stress, perhaps my spirit is in desperate need of a vacation, perhaps I should swallow any self-pity and rise above the obstacles . . . but the perhaps can definitely suck! Reality here folks - I ain't no steel drum . . empty inside and yet able to recalibrate the world around me with the resonating incantations from of my soul . . moving the people around me . . . ok - so I am. But this damn drum needs a moment of serenity:)

Chef Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment